Copyright Information

“‘Commanding, sovereign stream’: The Neva and the Viennese Danube in the History of Imperial Metropolitan Centers” was created by Gertrud Haidvogl, Alexei Kraikovski, and Julia Lajus (2019) under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International license. This refers only to the text and does not include image rights. Please click on an image to view its individual rights status. Thumbnails of the following images appear on the exhibition landing page:

After the fortification walls were destroyed in 1858, the fish market was moved to the Donaukanal, where it existed until 1972. Franz Poledne, Franz-Josefskai – Am Schanzl, n.d.

Recreational fishing with fishing rods was still rare in the beginning of the nineteenth century. Adolf Kunike, Dorf Nussdorf, 1826.

 

The sterlet belongs to the family of sturgeons. In contrast to the diadromous Beluga sturgeon, it is a pure freshwater fish and still inhabits the Austrian Danube. Illustration by George Bodenehr and Krüger, late eighteenth century.

 

The wooden bridges gradually disappeared in the nineteenth century and do not exist in the city anymore. Granite embankments appeared in the second half of the eighteenth century. Andrey Yefimovich Martynov, View of the Moika River by the Imperial Stables, 1809. Watercolour and Indian ink, 60 x 86 cm.

 

Bottom gear fishing in the Izhora river downstream from Tsarskaia Slavianka. Nineteenth-century illustration by Nikolai Liberich.

 

A policeman warns a drowning person that he shouldn’t drink the water—as if this were a greater danger than drowning. Caricature from the journal Satirikon, 1908. Illustration by Re Mi.

 

Advertisement of a Viennese fish trader and seller who was one of the first to offer also marine fish (“Seefische”). Unknown artist, 1900.